The UW–Madison Police Department takes pride in assisting our campus partners with taking action to protect buildings, property, and assets – helping to put into place protective and preventative measures to reduce opportunity for criminal activity. As a service to our campus community, UWPD provides security consultation and recommendations to determine individual security needs. For more information about our physical security services, please email us.
If you are interested in scheduling a site visit for a security consultation, please complete our Risk Assessment form.
UWPD manages access control to many UW–Madison campus buildings and properties. Access to campus buildings is granted to faculty, students, staff, researchers, etc. who have business within a certain UW building. To inquire about access to a UW building, please contact us with a brief description of the specifics of your need(s) at 608-265-3279 or email us.
The UW’s Master Key Policy applies to master level tiered keys and above. The initial step of the process requires the Dean or Director to become a registered user of the online key portal (NetID required). The Master Key Policy is in place to:
- Ensure staff requesting keys are authorized to do so
- Ensure individuals requesting keys are receiving the correct level of key
- Ensure the lowest level of key that is effective is provided to the requester
- To provide a process of accountability for the return of keys
- To improve the level of key control on campus
- To create a measure of accountability when departments have a key control breach
UWPD offers fingerprinting services for any individual who requires them for employment, government regulations, law enforcement, etc.